Provides a way to package an Atom based edition into one or more ZIP files to improve download performance. This format makes sense when an edition rarely changes once it is first published. It is also crucial when using iOS 5 Newsstand as Newsstand is not performant when downloading multiple assets.
- This format can only be used in Pugpig Live
- The resource should be served with the mime-type
- The resource is requested every time a client downloads the edition, so should be cached
- The resources should be protected if the edition is not freely available
Testing and Validation
- No standard validator exists for the package XML format.
- The ZIP files should unzip with standard software
|package/@root||1||Tag URI||The path to the Atom contents feed (after unzipping all parts)|
|part||1..n||Part node||An entry for each ZIP file in the package|
|part/@name||0..1||String||The name of the part. Could be used while displaying download progress|
|part/@src||1||Tag URI||The URL to the ZIP file|
|part/@size||0..1||Integer||The size, in bytes, of the ZIP file. Used to calculate progress|
|part/@modified||0..1||Date||The date the file was created|
GET /editions/1/package.xml HTTP/1.1 Host: sample.kaldorgroup.com
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Content-Type: application/pugpigpkg+xml Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 14:26:15 GMT Content-Length: 1016
package root="content.xml" part name="html" src="html.zip" size="121728" modified="2011-12-05T09:46:38+00:00" part name="assets" src="assets.zip" size="8005648" modified="2011-12-05T09:47:28+00:00" /part>
- The OPDS feed and the cover images are NOT part of the zip files.
- It is best to use as few ZIP files as possible