This article explains how to create a Custom Report that tells you what the most viewed or most popular content in your app is. You can also find this information by applying filters to the Behaviour > Screens report on the fly, however, if this is a metric you know you will need to check frequently it is probably worthwhile setting this report up.
HOW TO CREATE THE CUSTOM REPORT
- In CUSTOMISATION > Custom Reports click New Custom Report
- Give your report a Title and a Name for the report tab, such as ‘Most Popular Content’ and 'Content Screen Views'
- Set the Type to be a Flat Table
- Add Pugpig Page Name in the Dimension section
- Add Screen Views, Unique Screen Views and Avg. Time on Screen to the Metrics section
- Add a Filter with the condition include Screen Name Regex '/Edition/PageView/' for Pugpig Publish and include Screen Name Regex '/ArticleView/' for Pugpig Bolt
HOW TO FILTER YOUR REPORT FURTHER
Filtering by Edition (Pugpig Publish)
- You can edit your original report and add the filter in the custom report form Filters section to just show content from one specific edition or a set of editions.
Filtering by 'type' of article view (Pugpig Bolt)
- You may want to filter your report to just show certain types of article views. In your Pugpig Bolt app you can view an article from the timeline, in a saved article view or in a deep link view. These different type of article views track with different Screen Names /Timeline/ArticleView/<id>/<title>, /SavedTimeline/ArticleView/<id>/<title> and /Deeplink/ArticleView/<id>/<title> so if you want to just see which article was most viewed from a deep link change the Filter on your report to include Screen Names '/Deeplink/ArticleView/'.
IMPORTING THIS CUSTOM REPORT TO YOUR OWN ACCOUNT
- For Pugpig Publish apps click here to import this report into your own Google Analytics account. For Pugpig Bolt apps click here.
A NOTE ON GOOGLE ANALYTICS METRIC DEFINITIONS
This report relies on standard Google Analytics Metric Screen Views, Unique Screen Views and Avg. Time on Screen. These are defined by Google Analytics as follows:
- Screen Views: The total number of screens viewed. Repeated views of a single screen are counted.
- Unique Screen Views: The number of sessions during which the specified screen(s) are viewed at least once. Multiple viewings of a screen are counted as a single Unique Screenview.
- Avg. Time on Screen: The average amount of time users spent on a screen.
For more information on these Metrics please refer to Google Analytics help pages.