Promo codes allow marketing teams to distribute individual codes to selected users, allowing free access to one edition. There is a maximum of 100 codes available per in-app purchase and expire 28 days after they are requested.
Step 1 - Generating the code
- Sign into iTunes Connect and select the app which you would like to generate for
- Click into 'Features' along the top toolbar
- Down the right hand side you will see a list of items, one being 'Promo Codes'. In here you will find a list of all the in app purchases that have been set up and on the right hand side the amount of codes remaining
- Find the in app purchase you would like to generate codes for and in the same row next to where it says 'X codes remaining' there will be a text box
- Enter the amount of codes you would like to be generated and the blue 'Generate Code' box will activate, click.
- A popup box will confirm what you are generating the code for, along with some terms and conditions. Check the tick box and hit 'Generate Codes'
- This will then take you to the 'History' tab of the Promo Codes page, and here you can 'View Code'
- A popup box will appear with the code(s) that you have generated.
Step 2 - Distributing the code
- Codes can be distributed by whatever means the marketing team would like
- Points to remember:
- Unique individual codes, once they have been redeemed they can no longer be used
- Maximum 100 per in app purchase, maximum 1,000 per app in a 6 month period (Jan-July)
- Codes expire after 28 days
Step 3 - Redeeming the code (for users)
- Users must redeem their code on the device they would like the edition to be downloaded on
- BEFORE the user downloads the app, if they go into the app store and scroll down to the bottom, they will see a 'Redeem' button
- In here they enter the code they were given and it should say 'Accepted' and lead the user to download the app
- Once in the app they will see the edition that the code was generated for will say 'Download' instead of the price